Web Content Display
ASM Handbook Volume 4C: Induction Heating and Heat Treatment, Book + DVD Set
Editor: Valery Rudnev and George E. Totten | Book and CD | Product code: 05501Z | ISBN: 978-1-62708-012-5
Classified as: Heat Treating
Price: $327.00 Member Price: $245.00
This ALL NEW ASM Handbook gives design, manufacturing, and material engineers a practical and comprehensive reference on the technologies and applications of induction heating and heat treatment. This book provides practitioners, students, engineers, and scientists the knowledge to more clearly understand and obtain solutions for typical induction heating problems that they encounter on an everyday basis.
Continuing in the tradition of the ASM Handbook series, this Volume provides a unique combination of practical knowledge grasping ready-to-use diagrams, technical procedures, guidelines, and good practices with advanced theoretical knowledge emphasizing on specifics of induction processes compared to alternative technologies. An appreciable amount of material is devoted to practical aspects, including review of standard and customized induction equipment. Special attention is paid to describing quality assurance, process monitoring, maintenance and safety procedures, energy and environmental aspects, including control of magnetic field exposure and review of international standards and regulations.
Written by internationally recognized experts, ASM Handbook Volume 4C covers the breadth and significance of induction heating and heat-treatment technologies and applications. See the sample chapter and the Table of Contents for more information. Beginning with reviewing electrical, electromagnetic, heat transfer and material science fundamentals related to induction heating, along with coverage critical facets associated with this technology such as:
- Nonequilibrium nature of phase transformation and other metallurgical subtleties related to the specifics of induction hardening, tempering, stress relieving, heating prior to hot working and melting.
- Review of ASTM and SAE standards and guidelines in proper measuring of hardness case depth and heat affected zone. Pattern specification as well as issues and complications related to different hardness measuring techniques. Destructive and nondestructive testing.
- Selection of critical process parameters and inductor styles, heat pattern control, the use of magnetic flux concentrators, quench design subtleties as well as a review and explanation of common misconceptions and erroneous assumptions.
- Formation of residual and transient stresses and their impact on a performance of heat treated components.
- Temperature requirements for heating carbon steels, alloy steels, super alloys, titanium, aluminum and copper alloys and other materials prior to hot and warm working. Novel technological developments in heating billets, bars, tubes, rods and other metallic workpieces.
- Optimization procedures and strategies in obtaining optimal process control algorithms based on various technological criteria, real-life constrains and cost functions (e.g., maximizing throughput and temperature uniformity, energy effectiveness, minimizing required shop floor space and metal loss, etc.). Principles of multiobjective optimization of induction heating devices.
- Induction hardening of critical components, including gears, axle shafts, camshafts, crankshafts, and other components used in automotive and off-road machinery, aeronautic and aerospace engineering, farming, appliance, oil and gas industries.
- Failure analysis of induction heat treated components and comprehensive review of defects and abnormal characteristics.
- Good practices in designing and fabricating long-lasting induction coils and ways to avoid their premature failures.
- Special applications of electromagnetic induction, including melting glasses and oxides, optical fiber draw, nanoparticle heating and hyperthermia applications.
- Design principles and operation specifics of transistorized and thyristorized power supplies for induction heating needs.
- Modern computer modeling and specifics of simulation of induction thermal processes.
This fully searchable DVD contains 62 peer-reviewed articles—781 handbook pages—from ASM Handbook Volume 4C. Search among the eight divisions across the entire volume or browse the table of contents. The content is presented in PDF format, with all of the standard Adobe Reader® functions for navigation and finding content within articles. An index is included with hyperlinks from the terms to the article.
ASM Handbook, Volume 4C: Induction Heating and Heat Treatment
- Publisher: ASM International
- Published: 2014
- Pages: 820
- ISBN: 978-1-62708-012-5
- Review Type: Peer reviewed
Electronic Document Download
Many of our products are available via Electronic Download. To access an electronic (PDF) document that has been purchased, the document will appear in MyASM>MyContent. (You must be logged into the website in order to access your purchased content).
You can also access your purchased document by searching for it and clicking on the "Download" button on the document's product detail page.
ASM International is proud to recognize UPS as our official courier. All items are shipped using UPS Ground Service for domestic service and UPS International for all other shipments. This allows us to provide our members and customers with the most economical, reliable and trackable shipping available on the market.
All orders of physical products (Books, DVD sets, etc.) include a shipping charge that is calculated based on weight and your geographic location. ASM International does receive a discount from UPS because of the volume of shipping we do and this discount is passed along to you directly.
Domestic shipments typically are received within 3-5 business days; international shipments take approximately 2-4 weeks depending on your specific location.
We are able to offer expedited shipping services on products that are shipped direct, should the need arise. Please contact the ASM International Member Service Center at 440-338-5151, ext. 0 or via email at MemberServiceCenter@asminternational.org for more information.
Also, in the event that your company has a corporate shipping account with UPS or FedEx, we are happy to use your account number for delivery of your products. For assistance with this option, please contact the ASM International Member Service Center.
Orders that are placed before 2:00 p.m. U.S. Eastern Time are typically shipped the same day. Please allow three to four weeks for other publishers' books.
Returns will be accepted for a period of 30 days after the invoice date for domestic orders and 90 days after the invoice date for international orders.
Returns must be undamaged and in resalable condition.
Returns made after the specified time frame will be charged a 15% restocking fee. The restocking fee will be deducted from your total refund amount.
Returns are made at the expense of the customer. Please use a shipper that allows you to trace the package. Shipping fees are non-refundable.
Materials Processing and Treatment | Heat Treating