Web Content Display
Heat Treatment of Steel Self-Study Course
Self-Study | Product code: 27331C
Price: $1400.00 Member Price: $1200.00
Heat Treatment of Steel is a comprehensive course that covers practical heat treating of carbon, alloy, stainless and tool steels. In this course, there is additional emphasis on process applications, including valuable information on atmosphere control, quenching, temperature control and the type of equipment that is proper for different types of heat treating operations.
With the majority of heat treating problems occurring during quenching, this course now has more detailed coverage on quenching media and equipment to help you increase your understanding of hardening of steel. "Elements of Metallurgy", or its equivalent, is recommended as a prerequisite.
This course is intended for mechanical, industrial and manufacturing engineers, metallurgists, machine shop superintendents and managers in heat treating operations.
ASM's Elements of Metallurgy course.
Continuing Education Units: 3.0
1. Steel and Its Mechanical Properties -- what is steel -- properties, how these properties are measured, elasticity, plasticity, tensile testing
2. Microstructure and Mechanical Properties -- constitution of steel, effect of alloying elements and heat treatment, transformation temperatures
3. Austenite and Its Transformation and Classification of Steels -- relationship between structure of steel and its mechanical properties, two basic methods of controlling structure
4. Annealing and Normalizing Steel -- the annealing of steel, the procedures for controlling structure, problems of scaling, decarburization, normalizing
5. Hardening of Steel -- proper hardening processes, quenching, hardening principles
6. Quenching of Media and Equipment -- principles of heat treatment of metals, quenching methods, mechanisms of quenching, determination of quenching effects, quenching conditions, quenching equipment, safety
7. Tempering of Steel -- three stages -- effect of temperature, time, composition, structure on properties, precipitation effects
8. Types and Construction of Heat Treating Furnaces -- fuels and temperature control, classification of furnaces, measuring instruments, how to calibrate to insure accuracy
9. Furnace Atmospheres -- oxidation and reduction, inert gas, hydrogen, exothermic and endothermic prepared atmospheres, partial pressures, carbon control, dewpoint and CO2 vacuum
10. Vacuum Heat Processing -- vacuum heat treating, nature of the gaseous state, kinetic theory of gases, design of a vacuum furnace system, construction of vacuum furnaces, vacuum furnace designs, vacuum gages, heating element materials, heat insulation methods, electrical power sources, care of metal radiation shields, temperature measurements, quenching systems, vapor pressure, dissociation of metallic oxides, vacuum carburizing, vacuum brazing, reaction of work load with furnace fixtures, cycle control system
11. Surface Hardening -- flame, induction hardening, methods, reactions, and effects of carburizing, discussion of miscellaneous surface hardening methods
12. Induction Heat Treatment -- fundamentals of heat treatment, equipment selection and processing parameters, technical considerations, applications
13. Difficulties and Imperfections Associated with Heat Treated Steel -- types of imperfections or failures, cracking, types and causes, other imperfections
14. Heat Treatment of Tool Steels -- water hardening, shock resisting, nondeforming, hot work and high speed steels, types and characteristics of tool steels
15. Constitution and Heat Treatment of Stainless Steels -- martensitic, ferritic, austenitic, precipitation hardening stainless steels
Refund Policy for Online Courses(includes Self-Studies and DVDs)
For all On-line, SelfStudy and DVD purchases sales are considered final. However a full refund may be given if requested in writing to ASM International Education within 30 days of purchasing an Online or SelfStudy course. However, if the ASM International records demonstrate that the student has accessed more than 2 lessons online within those 30 days then no refund will be issued.